As summer approaches, many drivers look forward to taking road trips and enjoying the warm weather. However, hot temperatures can have a negative impact on your vehicle’s fuel efficiency, leading to more trips to the gas station and increased expenses. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to improve your gas mileage in the summer.
At Staples & Associates, we want to help our customers save money and stay safe on the road. Here are some of our top tips for improving your gas mileage throughout the summer!
Ways to Improve Your Gas Mileage
- Keep Your Tires Inflated Properly: Under-inflated tires can increase your vehicle’s fuel consumption by up to 3%. Check your tire pressure regularly and make sure it matches the recommended pressure in your owner’s manual.
- Use the Right Motor Oil: Using the correct motor oil can improve your vehicle’s fuel efficiency by up to 2%. Look for motor oil with the viscosity recommended in your owner’s manual for hot weather driving.
- Keep Your Engine Tuned Up: A well-maintained engine can improve your gas mileage by up to 4%. Regular tune-ups can help ensure that your vehicle is running efficiently and using fuel as effectively as possible.
- Avoid Idling: Sitting in traffic or letting your car idle in high temperatures can waste fuel and decrease your gas mileage. If you’re going to be stopped for more than a minute, turn off your engine to conserve fuel.
- Reduce Your Vehicle’s Weight: Carrying extra weight in your vehicle can decrease your gas mileage. Remove any unnecessary items from your trunk and roof rack to lighten your load and improve fuel efficiency.
- Use Your Air Conditioning Wisely: Using your air conditioning can decrease your gas mileage, but driving with your windows down can create drag and decrease your fuel efficiency even more. Find a balance that works for you and try using your air conditioning sparingly to conserve fuel.
- Plan Your Route: Taking the most direct route to your destination can save you time and fuel. Use a GPS app to find the quickest route, and avoid heavy traffic and construction if possible.
By following these tips, you can improve your gas mileage throughout your summer trips and save money on fuel costs. Not only will you benefit financially, but you’ll also be doing your part to reduce your carbon footprint and help protect the environment. Remember to stay safe on the road, and from all of us here at Staples & Associates, we hope you enjoy your summer travels!