Renters Insurance

Renters Insurance in Maryland & Delaware

Renters Need Insurance Too!

Are you renting an apartment, condo or house? Insurance is still essential for renters to protect their valuables and mitigate liability risks. Renters insurance is designed to protect the personal belongings of tenants in the event of theft, damage or total loss. Renters insurance also offers liability coverage to protect them if they are found responsible for damaging someone else’s property or if a person is injured while they are on the rented premises.

What types of coverage does renters insurance provide?

Personal Property Coverage

Renters insurance protects personal belongings like furniture, clothing, electronics and other valuables against fire, theft, vandalism and other natural disasters.

Liability Coverage

Renters insurance policies also cover legal fees and medical bills if a tenant is found responsible for an injury to another individual or damage to their property.

Additional Living Expenses Coverage

Renters insurance pays for temporary living expenses that occur when a rented property becomes uninhabitable due to fire and other disasters.

What is not covered by Renters Insurance?

Floods – additional policies may be needed for such coverage

Earthquakes – additional policies may be needed for such coverage

High value items – some high value items like jewelry and art may have coverage limits

Additional coverage, referred to as rider or floater insurance may be needed to cover accidental losses that a homeowners policy will not cover such as a lost ring down a drain or an expensive item left behind in a hotel room.

Building Coverage Protects Your:
  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Furnaces and water heaters
  • Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances like dishwashers
  • Permanently installed carpeting
  • Permanently installed cabinets, paneling, and bookcases
  • Window blinds
  • Foundation walls, anchorage systems, and staircases.
  • Detached garages
  • Fuel tanks, well water tanks and pumps, and solar energy equipment
  • Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
  • Curtains
  • Washer and dryer
  • Portable and window air conditioners
  • Microwave oven
  • Carpets not included in building coverage (e.g., carpet installed over wood floors)
  • Valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500)

When determining insurance coverage for flood damages, the cause of the flooding matters.  According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties.  Flood Insurance covers losses directly caused by flooding.

Consult a flood map by clicking here to identify if your property is in an area with a high risk of flooding.

Get a free insurance quote thats works for you.

Insurance Product of Interest
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.