It’s the holiday season and everyone is ready to celebrate! But while you’re spreading holiday cheer, it’s important to remember that accidents can happen. Take the necessary precautions and know what holiday accidents are covered by your home insurance in case of an emergency.
With holiday lights all around, a lit fireplace warming your home, and sweet treats baking in the oven, what could possibly go wrong? Staples & Associates is always here to make sure you’re covered, no matter the accident. Keep these tips in mind this holiday season!
Holiday Fire Safety
In order to avoid an accident or emergency during the holidays, fire prevention should always be a priority. This includes (but is not limited to):
Indoor Safety Tips
- Have working smoke detectors.
- Water a real Christmas tree regularly.
- Keep an eye on candles while they burn and place them away from flammable objects.
- Double-check electrical wires for fraying.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand when cooking.
- Do not leave a lit fireplace unattended.
Outdoor Safety Tips
- Make sure that light strands and cords are made for outdoor use.
- Ensure that lights, extension cords, and outlets have the appropriate electrical load.
- Check the outdoor decor for signs of damage.
Fire Damage Insurance Coverage
Even with all of these precautions, accidents can still happen. It’s best to be prepared for all scenarios so that you can continue to enjoy your winter festivities. Is your home insured in case of fire damage? Check that your home insurance policy has:
- Coverage for structural damage that exceeds the value of your home.
- Recent updates for home renovations or new significant purchases.
- A limit that’s equal to or greater than the value of your things.
We hope this brought some guidance to you about how to keep your home safer during the holidays. If you have any questions about your home insurance policy and what it entails, the Staples & Associates team is always here to help. Contact us today!